Kinew says cabinet minister who complained about sign language interpreter will stay

By Steve Lambert Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew is standing by a cabinet minister who complained about sharing a stage with a sign language interpreter. Nahanni Fontaine has apologized for her remarks and will stay on as the minister responsible for services for people with disabilities, Kinew told reporters Friday. “I totally understand where people are coming from,” Kinew said, referring to criticism of Fontaine’s remarks. “At the same time, I think our minister has apologized and is putting in the work with the community, so it’s with the greatest of humility that I want to ask folks in the Deaf community to keep working with her.” Kinew did not specify what steps Fontaine is taking other than meeting with people in the community. The controversy erupted last week after Fontaine…

This content is for Yearly Subscription, Yearly Subscription – Corporate, Print Subscription Only, and Canada Print and Online members only.
Register
Already a member? Log in here

Add Your Voice

Is there more to this story? We'd like to hear from you about this or any other stories you think we should know about. Contribute your voice on our contribute page.