High levels of carbon monoxide, mould found in homes on Ontario reserves: study

By Kelly Geraldine Malone THE CANADIAN PRESS A study has found air inside homes on four remote First Nations in northwestern Ontario contained carbon monoxide, fine particles, mould and other substances that increase the risk of respiratory infections. The report’s author, David Miller, a distinguished research professor at Carleton University, says there are ways to improve ventilation. “This is an opportunity not a black hole,” said Miller. The study published last month tested the air in 101 homes on Lac Seul First Nation, Kasabonika Lake First Nation, Sandy Lake First Nation and Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug First Nation. Three of the communities aren’t accessible by road except during a short time in winter. About 27 per cent of the homes had elevated levels of carbon monoxide. Almost half had visible mould. “Ten…

This content is for Yearly Subscription, Yearly Subscription – Corporate, and Print Subscription Only members only.
Log In Register

Add Your Voice

Is there more to this story? We'd like to hear from you about this or any other stories you think we should know about. Contribute your voice on our contribute page.