B.C. wildfire evacuees return home to assess the damage, start to rebuild

At the age of 52, Steve Larabie is facing the daunting task of rebuilding his home and business from scratch after losing everything when ferocious wildfires roared into the outskirts of Clinton, B.C., last month. “It’s all gone. I have nothing left. Nothing,” Larabie said in an interview on Saturday. “I’m more sad that my children have to see their home is gone,” he added. Larabie, his wife and their children made it out safely, but they lost their two homes and their towing business on their property three kilometres south of the village. More wildfire evacuees in British Columbia were allowed to return home Saturday, as emergency officials downgraded evacuation orders to alerts around the community of Clinton. But for many, there aren’t homes to return to. Larabie said…

This content is for Yearly Subscription, Yearly Subscription – Corporate, Print Subscription Only, Canada Print and Online, and USA Print and Online members only.
Register
Already a member? Log in here

Add Your Voice

Is there more to this story? We'd like to hear from you about this or any other stories you think we should know about. Contribute your voice on our contribute page.