OPP hit second major illicit cannabis operation in Haldimand County, seize $8 million in product
HALDIMAND COUNTY, ON – The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) have seized another major illicit cannabis operation in Haldimand County and Ohsweken. OPP, after an eight-month illicit cannabis investigation, have laid charges against five individuals and seized $8 million in illicit cannabis, including dried cannabis, cannabis plants, edibles and vapes, as well as contraband tobacco. It’s the second major seizure in a month. A major OPP investigation in late July led to the arrest of 16 people and seizure of $55 million in illegal cannabis. In the latest seizure OPP communications officer Angie Sloan confirmed a search warrant was executed in Ohsweken as part of the investigation. Howev er, she said it is not OPP policy to provide addresses of search warrants. The investigation launched in October 2024, involved the OPP Provincial Joint...
Mohawk Council of Kahnawake asserts sovereignty
By Eve Cable, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Eastern Door Mohawk Council of Kahnawake (MCK) grand chief Cody Diabo said that a meeting this week with Quebec’s minister of justice was “very disturbing,” adding that proposals for the province to develop its own constitution could undermine the memorandum of understanding (MOU) signed with Kahnawake last winter. “It puts a lot of things in perspective in terms of how this current government looks at its relationships with First Nations as a whole,” Diabo said. He was joined by Council’s new chief political advisor Lloyd Phillips in Quebec City for the meeting with Quebec’s minister of justice and attorney general Simon Jolin-Barrette. The two were accompanied by Francis Verreault-Paul, head of the Assembly of First Nations Quebec-Labrador (AFNQL). Diabo said that Quebec’s...
Evacuation ordered as wildfire burns near N.W.T. community
By Jordan Omstead An evacuation has been ordered for a First Nations community in Northwest Territories due to a wildfire. A state of emergency has been declared in Whatì and all of the community’s roughly 500 residents were ordered to evacuate. An update posted by the community government says reception centres were being set up in Yellowknife and Behchokǫ́, the nearest community by road about 160 kilometres away. Evacuees were told to register at the Whatì Cultural Centre. Earlier this week, officials had said Friday was expected to bring challenging firefighting conditions, with winds forecasted to push the fire toward the community. An update posted by the territorial government suggested the wildfire was about seven kilometres away from the community’s airport as of Thursday night. This report by The Canadian...
Bill 97 faces backlash
By Raven Katsit’siio Edwards Brown, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Eastern Door Quebec’s proposed Bill 97, which would see complete reform of how forests are managed, has ignited a wave of opposition from First Nations leaders, environmental advocates, and community groups. Critics say the legislation undermines treaty rights, promotes land privatization, and lacks meaningful Indigenous inclusion sparking walkouts, protests, and calls for a complete legislative overhaul. Earlier in the summer, the Assembly of First Nations Québec-Labrador (AFNQL) formally withdrew from the government’s high-level consultation table, citing a lack of commitment to a legitimate, co-constructed process. In a press release, the AFNQL’s described the suspension as necessary after the Quebec government, despite public statements of openness, refused to commit to three non-negotiable principles: Respect for ancestral and treaty rights under the...
New report reveals urban hotspots for missing and murdered Indigenous women in Canada
By Jacqueline St. Pierre, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Manitoulin Expositor M’CHIGEENG—A new report from Thomson Reuters reveals that Canada’s crisis of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women (MMIW) is deeply rooted not only in rural and remote communities but also in urban centres across the country. The study, ‘Missing and Stolen: Disappearances and Trafficking of Indigenous Peoples in Canada,’ identifies Winnipeg, Edmonton and the Prince Albert–Regina–Saskatoon triangle as hotspots for MMIW cases between 2010 and April 2024. Ontario’s Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is also highlighted for its high rates of disappearances and online sex ads featuring Indigenous women and girls, a common indicator of human trafficking. Opening the report is the story of Juanita “Winnie” Migwans, of M’Chigeeng First Nation and cites the February 2025 story in the Expositor “Juanita...
North Shore anti-glyphosate rally held, scheduled spray will not occur in region
By Jacqueline St. Pierre, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Manitoulin Expositor HIGHWAY 17—On August 14, the steady pulse of Highway 17 through Serpent River First Nation slowed to a crawl. Cars idled as Elders and allies stood on the asphalt, handing out pamphlets and warnings, calling for a moratorium on aerial glyphosate spraying across Anishinaabek territory. The message was plain and sharp: glyphosate — the herbicide known in forestry as Vision and to the public as Roundup — harms not only the trees and undergrowth it is designed to kill, but the people, animals, waters, and medicines that rely on those forests for life. By the end of that same week, the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) and its corporate partner, Interfor, quietly announced that the scheduled aerial spray over...
B.C. ministry unaware of coroners attending death scenes remotely after 2019
By Darryl Greer British Columbia’s Ministry of Public Safety says it was unaware of the BC Coroners Service continuing a practice of attending certain death scenes remotely after 2019. Ministry spokeswoman Tasha Schollen says the ministry’s understanding was that in-person scene attendance had been “restored” six years ago, and it’s now discussing the situation with the service. Her remarks come after a former coroner told The Canadian Press that two bodies went unnoticed at the Vancouver death scene of a third person in 2022 in part because the coroner attended remotely by phoning a police officer at the single room occupancy apartment. Former community coroner Sonya Schulz says the service stopped requiring coroners to physically attend certain scenes to save money several years ago. A delegate of B.C.’s director of...
Southern Chiefs’ Organization hosting status card clinic at Keeshkeemaquah
By Renee Lilley, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Portage Graphic Leader The Southern Chiefs’ Organization (SCO) is making it easier for First Nations individuals to access essential identification by hosting a mobile status card clinic next month. The clinic will run on Monday, Sept. 16, from 10:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Keeshkeemaquah Conference & Gaming Centre, located on Long Plain First Nation’s urban reserve just west of Portage la Prairie. Staff will be on-site to help people apply for or renew their Secure Certificate of Indian Status cards, as well as assist with first-time registrations for those who do not yet have a status number. “We’re here to help people with the applications for both the secure certificate and the status cards,” said Kyler Murray, a status card intake...
Westbank sells stake in massive Squamish Nation housing development in Vancouver
By Brenna Owen Developer Westbank Corp. has sold its entire stake in the Squamish Nation’s massive Senakw housing project, which broke ground in Vancouver in 2022, backed by a $1.4 billion federal loan for construction. The nation issued a statement Thursday saying OPTrust, which manages one of Canada’s largest pension funds, had bought out Westbank’s stake, increasing OPTrust’s ownership in the first two phases of the development to 50 per cent. “This decision to support the sale of Westbank’s share to a strong Canadian pension fund was rooted in protecting the nation’s business interests in the project, strengthening the future of this development and honouring our nation’s sovereignty,” the nation said in another update posted to its website. It said the restructured partnership means Squamish Nation and OPTrust share equal...
Community rallies in downtown Toronto after stray bullet kills Wiikwemkoong boy
By Jacqueline St. Pierre, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Manitoulin Expositor TORONTO—The name of eight-year-old JahVai Roy carried across Nathan Phillips Square last Friday, August 22, lifted in chants, songs and sobs. Just days before, the boy had been lying in bed beside his mother in their North York apartment when a stray bullet tore through the walls of his home and into his small body. JahVai, described by family and friends as compassionate, fearless and tender-hearted, was pronounced dead in hospital shortly after 12:30 am on Saturday, August 16. Toronto police say gunshots were fired outside the building on Martha Eaton Way near Trethewey Drive, and a white Acura believed to be linked to the shooting fled the scene. Police have released images of the vehicle and are appealing...
Evacuation ordered as wildfire burns near N.W.T. community
By Jordan Omstead An evacuation has been ordered for a First Nation community in Northwest Territories due to a wildfire. A state of emergency has been declared in Whatì and all of the community’s roughly 500 residents were ordered to evacuate. An update posted by the community government says reception centres were being set up in Yellowknife and Behchokǫ́, the nearest community by road about 160 kilometres away. Evacuees were told to register at the Whatì Cultural Centre. Earlier this week, officials had said Friday was expected to bring challenging firefighting conditions, with winds forecasted to push the fire toward the community. Fire crews tried to aggressively attack the fire after it broke out from a lightning strike earlier this month, officials said. But feeding off the territory’s hot and...
Former Trans Mountain CEO to head up Carney’s major projects office in Calgary
By Kyle Duggan Ottawa’s one-stop shop for businesses to pitch plans for large industrial construction projects will be headquartered in Calgary and managed by former Trans Mountain CEO Dawn Farrell, the Prime Minister’s Office said Friday. The major projects office is part of Prime Minister Mark Carney’s plan to get big, national projects fast-tracked through the approval process. “We are moving at a speed not seen in generations to build ports, railways, energy grids — the major projects that will unlock Canada’s full economic potential and build Canada strong,” Carney posted on social media Friday. The Liberal government rushed Bill C-5 through Parliament in June, creating a framework for a new approvals process for large-scale projects the government deems to be in the national interest and that could help grow...
Brantford Police recover 11 stolen luxury vehicles valued at over $1.5 million
BRANTFORD, ONT. – The Brantford Police Service (BPS) Auto-Theft Unit has retrieved 11 stolen vehicles worth more than $1.5 million, as the result of an active investigation. On Wed., Aug. 27, at approximately 6 p.m., officers executed a search warrant at a building on Spalding Drive. They located and seized 11 high-end luxury vehicles, including models from Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Dodge and Rolls Royce. The vehicles were all stolen from neighbouring jurisdictions. The investigation is still active and ongoing, and no arrests have been made at this time. Police ask anyone with information regarding this matter to contact the Auto-Theft Unit Brantford Police recover 11 stolen luxury vehicles from Spalding Dr. investigationat 519-756-7050. They can also report anonymously to Brantford Crime Stoppers by calling 519-750-8477 or 1-800-222-8477, or by submitting...
Prospect of iron mine near Aupaluk spurs discussion
By Jeff Pelletier, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Nunatsiaq News Eva Grey’s history in Aupaluk goes back to the 1970s, when the land where the community of 200 now sits was mainly used for camping and hunting. “It’s a real town now,” Grey said, speaking of new infrastructure such as a large health centre and new water plant. “It’s getting big.” Grey has served many roles in Aupaluk as a municipal leader, search and rescue co-ordinator and as an educator. Aupaluk’s growth has had an impact on fish and other animals in the environment who are avoiding the community’s populated areas, Grey said. However, there’s another potential development on the horizon that could have a further impact: mining. Mining is a “divisive” issue in Aupaluk which residents fight over, Grey said....
Brant County OPP investigate distraction theft…seek’s public help in identifying man
BRANT, ON – Brant County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) are investigating a theft after a man entered a commercial property on Brant Street, St. George and a $50 scratch ticket was rmoved from the counter. OPP said the theft happened Thursday August 28, 2025, at about 2:24 p.m., when a bald, man wearing a green t-shirt and black pants entered the store and distracted the store employee. OPP said while the employee was distracted the suspect removed a $50.00 scratch ticket from the counter and then left the store. The investigation is ongoing. If you have any information that could assist in identifying this suspect, please contact Brant County OPP at 1-888-310-1122, or reach out to Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477 or online at crimestoppersbb.com. Reference # E251167427...
ROPE squad asking for public’s help after federal offender breaches Day Parole
Jeffrey Caldwell OTTAWA, ON – The Repeat Offender Parole Enforcement (R.O.P.E.) Squad is requesting the public’s assistance in locating a federal offender wanted on a Canada Wide Warrant as a result of a breach of their Day Parole. Jeffrey Caldwell is described as a Caucasian male, 51-years-old, 6’0″ (183 cm), 235 lbs (107 kgs) with black hair and brown eyes. He has a tattoo of the Sun (Keltic) on his left upper arm. Caldwell is serving a 2-year and 1-month sentence for: Possession Schedule III Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking Possession Schedule Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking Possession of a Firearm Knowing Its Possession is Unauthorized Possession of Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Knowing Its Possession is Unauthorized Fail...
Trump administration asks military base near Chicago for support on immigration operations
By John O’connor And Sophia Tareen CHICAGO (AP) — The Trump administration asked a military base outside of Chicago for support on immigration operations this week, offering a clue of what an expanded law enforcement crackdown might look like in the nation’s third-largest city. The Department of Homeland Security asked Naval Station Great Lakes for “limited support in the form of facilities, infrastructure, and other logistical needs to support DHS operations,” Matt Mogle, spokesperson for the base 35 miles (56 kilometers) north of Chicago, said Wednesday. The request came weeks after the Republican administration deployed National Guard troops to Washington, D.C., to target crime, immigration and homelessness, and two months after it sent troops to Los Angeles. Although details of the administration’s plans for Chicago are scarce, city leaders said...
‘I was very, very upset,’ says sister of Indigenous man struck by RCMP during arrest
By Nora O’Malley, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Ha-Shilth-Sa Port Alberni, BC – Caroline Hall says her brother Shawn is an addict. Shawn Hall, 33, has been living on the streets of Port Alberni for months now, she says. “I really care about him. He’s a good person, he just got in a really bad place. I’m just hoping one day he’ll get better ‘cause I don’t know… He’s my baby brother,” said Hall. “I deal with my brother a lot. I usually hold on to his paycheque and distribute it out to him throughout the month, so he doesn’t spend it all at once,” she shared. Shawn is Indigenous, with Cree and likely Hesquiaht First Nation roots. He is a repeat offender with a criminal history dating back to at...
Canada’s top court won’t hear appeal in land dispute at Ontario’s Sauble Beach
By Vanessa Tiberio The Supreme Court of Canada has declined to hear an appeal of a lower-court ruling that upheld a First Nation’s ownership of a stretch of land at a popular Ontario beach after a lengthy dispute. Canada’s top court has dismissed the appeal request from several landowners, the Town of South Bruce Peninsula and the province after a stretch of land along Sauble Beach was returned to Saugeen First Nation in 2023. The Supreme Court did not provide a reason for its decision, which is customary. Saugeen First Nation said in a statement that it is “both proud and grateful” to celebrate the “historic vindication” of its treaty rights. “Generations of Saugeen people have fought tirelessly against all odds to protect and preserve this deeply important area at...
AFN chief says next week’s gathering will set stage for major projects talks
By Alessia Passafiume The Assembly of First Nations’ annual general meeting next week in Winnipeg will set the stage — and the tone — for engaging with governments on major infrastructure projects. National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak says politicians will be paying close attention to the resolutions chiefs pass related to the federal major projects legislation. The bill, which passed in June, has seen strong opposition from some First Nations leaders and community members who fear it won’t respect their rights. “We look forward to that — to hearing leadership debate, discuss and advance to the next steps,” she said in an interview. The annual general assembly that kicks off on Sept. 3 will be the first time the AFN, which advocates on behalf of more than 600 chiefs, is...